Are you planning to ride a motorcycle? Then it is important to know the traffic regulations in the countries you are travelling through. The European Commission website gives you an overview of all the rules specific to traffic in Europe: speed, seat belt, alcohol, etc. In this article, you will find a summary of important or specific rules specific to motorcyclists for neighbouring countries.

P - WYSIWYG - Alignment Left


Just like in Belgium, you must wear a helmet and gloves (CE approved).  In the event of an accident or breakdown, a fluorescent vest must be worn. Inter-lane traffic is allowed in 21 departments. This means that riders are allowed to drive between lanes. To do this, however, several conditions must be met:

  • This is only valid for roads with at least two lanes in both directions and a maximum speed of at least 70km/h.
  • The rider must have sufficient space between the lanes of traffic.
  • The speed of the vehicles in the congestion may not exceed 50km/h and the speed difference to the cars may not exceed 30km/h.

These are the following departments: the Alpes-Maritimes, Bouches-du-Rhône, Drôme, Essonne la Gironde, Haute-Garonne, Hauts-de-Seine, Herault, Isère, Loire-Atlantique, Nord, Paris, Pyrénées-Orientales, Rhône (including the Lyon metropolis), Seine-et-Marne, Seine-Saint-Denis, Val-d'Oise, Val-de-Marne, Var, Vaucluse, and Yvelines.

In Paris, there is a permanent environmental zone which is also valid for motorcycles. To travel there, you need a Crit'Air eco sticker, which can be ordered via If you are only driving on the périphérique and you are not travelling into the centre of Paris, you do not need an eco sticker. In the Ile de France region and in other cities, the Crit'Air ban level may be modified according to the peaks. Other cities requiring the Crit'Air sticker are: Grenoble, Lyon, Lille, Strasbourg, Toulouse, Marseille and Rennes

Good to know:

  • In the event of a collision with a vehicle, you will find the contact details of the other party on a sticker on the windscreen.
  • Children under 5 years can only be transported in a suitable seat with bases and armrests. Children over 5 years must be able to place their feet on the footplates.
  • You are not allowed to use a navigation system that tells you where speed checks are located.
P - WYSIWYG - Alignment Left


There is an eco sticker in Germany, but it does not apply to two or three-wheelers. Parking on pavements is not permitted. The transport and use of radar detection devices are prohibited, as are radar signals or route control in navigation devices, mobile phones, tablets, etc. Everything has to be removed, as it is not sufficient to just switch them off.

Pulling back into the queues in traffic jams is prohibited.

Children under 7 years must be transported in a suitable seat. Bikers wearing glasses must have a spare pair with them.

P - WYSIWYG - Alignment Left

The Netherlands

Pulling back into the queues in traffic jams is permitted, provided that you do not do so on a section of road that is not explicitly intended for this purpose (such as the emergency stop strip or a blocked lane). However, the difference in speed between your motorcycle and slow or stationary cars may not exceed 10km/h.

P - WYSIWYG - Alignment Left


Inter-lane travel is prohibited and you must carry a safety vest with you (no requirement to wear it).

If you want to travel further, remember that other traffic rules may apply. If you break them, you risk a fine. So, before you travel, check which rules apply in the country you are visiting.

P - WYSIWYG - Alignment Left
Was this helpful ?